August 12, 2009

Martha Stewart's Schedule

I have to say, I love Martha Stewart...I think I want to be Martha. It's the whole organization thing that appeals to me. If I could only be that uber-organized and have my home running smoothly the way she does; set an incredible table with all the supplies in perfect condition and on hand; oh! I would be in heaven. A perfectionist by nature, but lacking because life has caused me to be just too busy, I dream of the day I can write a home-keeping, stylistic book wherein my office is in order, my rabbits groomed perfectly (they are angoras, this takes hours) and my closet completely in order (and the pantry alphabetized, etc, etc). I'll just keep working on that. This is Martha’s routine, it intrigues me.


Martha's daily regimen revealed
By Martha Stewart Martha Stewart Living Magazine



Several times a day I'm asked to describe the daily routine that permits me to do all I do -- maintaining a very busy schedule while still feeling good.I have worked out a 10-step program for myself that's very effective in maintaining my status quo of clear skin, clear eyes, a high energy level and illness-free living. I thought I would, once and for all, attempt to write it all down and share it with you here.



1. SKIN CARE: Skin care is vital, and my routine includes a thorough cleansing every morning and night. Toners, enriching day and night creams, and serums -- I love Mario Badescu and Yon-Ka products -- keep my skin elastic and supple and glowing. Sunblocks, balms and skin healers are also necessary as preventive treatments. Ok, I have a ton of skincare, if I would just use it...

2. GYM: My home gym is furnished with aerobic machines, weights and Cybex machines, and has a lovely view of the farm, a television so I can watch the news while running on the treadmill, and yoga equipment. The importance of aerobic exercise cannot be overemphasized. Aerobics keep weight down and stamina up. Well, I set up a home gym, and I have DVDs - pilates, yoga, ballet. Had gym wired for television - just need a damned tv...

3. MORNING JUICE Every morning I drink about 8 ounces of what I call "green juice." I use a juicer to make a blend of spinach, celery, cucumber, carrot and some fruit -- pear, apple, pomegranate, plum, peach, a bit of orange peel and a small piece of ginger. The more of these ingredients that come from my organic garden, the better. I actually feel a jolt of energy when I imbibe these drinks. Ok, I know juice is good for you. I have two juicers; I juice carrots for Wooley, but I would rather eat the fruit and have a lunchtime salad.

4. CALENDAR An organized calendar with every meeting, trip and appointment carefully listed and timed enables me to accomplish a lot each day. I do not have meetings just for the sake of meetings -- there is always a subject to discuss, information to gather and people to meet. Each appointment is listed with phone numbers of all the principals. Addresses include cross streets so no time is wasted in finding a location. I have too many post-its. I hate having a home calendar, an office calendar, a business calendar - I'm thinking about getting a Blackberry, but what will become of the post-its?

5. WALKING My favorite outdoor activity has always been hiking or walking. Good footwear, good socks and a jacket with pockets (for water and a cell phone) are crucial items of clothing. I will try on lots of sneakers before I find a comfortable pair. Walking and running are my passions; however, I only bring water, no cell phone, too much to carry. If anything happens on the trail, well, I better be able to outrun those bobcats that I'm seeing warning signs about...I've just thrown a pair of running shoes in the Goodwill box - putting them to rest after about 14 months...no wonder my knees hurt...Martha would never do that.

6. EXERCISE Weights are all-important for bone health and body toning, and yoga is essential for calming the mind and strengthening the body's core. I love weights for arms and shoulders, and my Pilates ring for strengthening thighs, arms and chest. A yoga block, a ring and a yoga strap come with me wherever I go, so I can at least get a bit of a workout when I'm on the road. Ahem, think I have this one down! I have all sorts of Pilates and yoga equiptment, and great DVDs. YAY!

7. WATER I have three offices in addition to my home office. Alongside every one of my computers I keep a pitcher of mineral water infused with lemon, lime, orange, or cucumber and mint. I find that I drink more if the pitcher is there as a reminder. When I read this I bought a cute pitcher for my office and bring mints from my veggie garden (chocolate mint is my favorite) and other fruits for my Smart Water.

8. HAIR CARE Because I have my hair styled so often, I wash it almost every day. I use a variety of shampoos and conditioners, notably ones by Frederic Fekkai and L'Oreal, to keep my hair from becoming dry or brittle. Sometimes I visit Parvin Klein, my colorist at the John Barrett Salon, for a glossing, which seems to infuse my hair with a new vitality. Hair...I working on that one. I like the Kerastase Products. And I want to try Shu Urmura.

9. DAILY MAINTENANCE Skin care is not the only daily routine one must adhere to. An electric toothbrush is essential for gum care and shiny white teeth, along with a good dental-care program (twice a year cleanings and checkups). Mouthwash and salt-water gargles are also helpful in keeping colds and sore throats from developing. Feet, hands, arms and legs should also be cared for. I love the Susan Ciminelli Marine Lotion for my body and several Dr. Hauschka tonics for my face, neck and chest. Do the check ups; my feet are abused, as are the hamstrings....

10. RELAXATION I do try to find some time, perhaps not every day but as often as possible, to curl up with a new book -- often downloaded onto my Kindle -- or to watch a movie from Netflix. A great cup of tea or even a homemade cappuccino (one shot of espresso only) is an added perk and pleasure. I'm not sure I understand what she is trying to say here....I aspire to this.

Last but not least, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of children, spouses, significant others and pets in our daily lives. They are the real reason we do what we do outside the home, in our work and in our play. I try to speak with my daughter, Alexis, every day. My dogs and cats and horses and other animals are a constant source of joy and pleasure. And a few minutes of every day are spent on the phone catching up with close friends.

Disclaimer:

Questions should be addressed to Ask Martha, care of Letters Department, Martha Stewart Living, 11 W. 42nd St., New York, NY 10036. E-mail to mslletters@marthastewart.com.© 2009 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Inc.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I love Martha, too. She is definitely a fave.