November 16, 2009

An Education in Style

Starved for European culture on this fabulous fall Sunday, we went to see the move An Education, with Carey Mulligan playing the female lead.
Oh my gosh, her clothes! She looked like a very young Audrey Hepburn! I just couldn’t see enough of these fabulous, classic, lady-like outfits and hair styles that she wore!
It was just lovely, even though the content was one of  a cold, hard warning to women of all ages.






If you love English movies and the beautiful country side (oh how I want an early retirement there…) this is a must see. Of course the “accents” were just lovely as well.


The time is London, 1961, and 16-year-old Jenny (Carey Mulligan) is a suburban London teen who finds herself swept off her feet by a much older man, with a dark secret ( I won’t give that away, I actually didn’t see it coming, I was more focused on here education and whether she would be “allowed” to attend university and be a wife, God forbid.



Bored to death by her familiar adolescent routine, Jenny jumps at her opportunity to accompany her newfound beau to classical concerts, art auctions, crowded pubs, and dinners that stretch into the small hours of the night. Jenny is at the top of her class and is expect to attend Oxford. Costars are Emma Thompson and Sally Hawkins.

Has anyone else seen An Education?

5 comments:

LPC said...

Sounds wonderful. Haven't seen it yet.

Susu Paris Chic said...

Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog Shari!

I haven't seen An Education, but I did go see another movie this morning that inspired me - The Private Lives of Pippa Lee. A captivating story of a life of a woman. Life in all its sweet tastes and colors. And with a lot of actors I appreciate, like Winona Ryder or Keanu Reeves.

Headbands and Hand Bags said...

This movie is so right up my alley! Now i must track down where I can see it here or in New England over the holidays! Delightful!

Bunny, The Paris House said...

I haven't seen but I would love to..sounds wonderful!!
Bunny

Whitney said...

Haven't seen it, but I am intrigued!